Leroy Chiao, former NASA astronaut and International Space Station commander will be coming to China this August. Seize the chance to engage Leroy to speak at your upcoming event in August!
Leroy Chiao 焦立中 worked at NASA for 15 years before he left the agency in 2005. A veteran of four space missions, Dr. Chiao most recently served as Commander and NASA Science Officer of Expedition 10 aboard the International Space Station. He has logged over 229 days in space – over 36 hours of which were spent in Extra-Vehicular Activity (EVA, or spacewalks).
Aside from being a Space Station Commander and Space Shuttle Mission Specialist, Leroy ‘s is also:
- uniquely qualified to speak about the United States, Russian, Japanese, European and Chinese Space Programs
- a certified Co-Pilot of the Russian Soyuz spacecraft
- an expert in all facets of U.S. and Russian EVA hardware and operations and is EVA certified in U.S. and Russian spacesuits, tools, and training programs
- the first American to visit the Astronaut Research and Training Center of China in September 2006, where he met the first two national Chinese astronauts, Yang Liwei and Fei Junlong.
- a White House appointee at the Review of U.S. Human Spaceflight Plans Committee from June-September 2009.
At present Dr. Chiao is the user panel chairman for the National Space Biomedical Research Institute, the biomedical engineering lead for the Center for Space Medicine, holds appointment at Rice University , the special advisor for human spaceflight to the Space Foundation and serves on the NASA Advisory Council.
Additionally, Leroy Chiao is a fellow of the Explorers Club, and a member of the International Academy of Astronautics and the Committee of 100. Aside from being a native English speaker, Dr. Chiao also speaks Mandarin Chinese and Russian.
Dr. Chiao studied Chemical Engineering, earning a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of California at Berkeley in 1983. He continued his studies at the University of California at Santa Barbara, earning his Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy degrees in 1985 and 1987. Prior to joining NASA in 1990, he worked as a Research Engineer at Hexcel Corp. and then at the Lawrence Livermore National Lab.
Leroy‘s speaking topics are the following:
- Leading in the International Arena -understanding nuances, and integrating different cultures and customs, are key to effectiveness.
- Positioning Your Endeavor – Technology Innovation Trends. -Understanding where innovation is driving technology trends is key to planning the future of your enterprise.
- Effective Problem Solving: How to Lead Like an Astronaut. -Dr. Chiao uses his personal experience aboard spacecraft to illustrate how reaching for the stars is important, but even more so is honing the operational decision making skills required to not only stay alive, but to thrive.
- Is It SADS, Or Am I in Space? Medical Considerations for Spaceflight. -Dr. Chiao weaves the physiological effects of the space environment with his personal stories and adventures in space. In addition, he discusses the synergy between the development of operational countermeasures and diagnostics for spaceflight, and the creation of healthcare solutions on Earth.